Talent Night application information & FAQ
What is Talent Night?
TEDxAmsterdamWomen is hosting the fourth edition of Talent Night, where ten inspiring individuals will present their game changing ideas on stage in 3 minutes.
At the end of the night, a jury, together with the audience, will select the best Talent to present her/his/their ideas on the main stage during the TEDxAmsterdamWomen on the 1st of December.
Join us for this unique and exciting evening of ideas, drinks, and networking.
Do you have an undiscovered idea worth spreading? Apply to be a Contestant!
What are the criteria to become a contestant?
- Your idea fits one of the pillars: Technology, Entertainment, Design, Global Issues, Business/Entrepreneurship, Art & Music, Science or Sustainability
- Your talk concerns women and women’s issues
- Under the age of 30 years
- Be available on all dates mentioned below
Talent Night application process:
- June 28 – August 12, 2021: Talent Night applications can be submitted. This includes answering the questions on the application form. A TEDx AmsterdamWomen Jury and online public will choose their favorites to be shortlisted.
- August 19: Shortlisted candidates are notified. These candidates must then submit a video pitch (max 2 min.)
- August 20: Workshop provided for the shortlisted candidates organized by our speaker coach.
- August 29: Video Pitch due.
- September 12: The 10 Finalists are chosen, who will receive feedback (including a second workshop on September 17) from our speaker coach based on their video submission.
- October 1*: Ten Pitchers present their ideas at Talent Night event, the jury together with the online audience will select the winner before the end of the evening.
- December 1: The winner will bring their pitch to the TEDxAmsterdamWomen mainstage.
*Dates may be subject to change
The application includes:
- A one-sentence summary of your idea worth spreading. What is your talk about?
- Answer the questions on the application form. Remember, your answers should be no longer than 3 sentences.
- Help us understand how your pitch relates to this year’s theme – REthink, REboot, REact.
- A few more questions to understand who you are
Guidelines for your Pitch
We are looking for great ideas relating to this year’s theme ‘REthink, REboot, REact’ touching on one of the TEDx pillars – Technology, Entertainment, Design, Global Issues, Business/Entrepreneurship, Art & Music, Science or Sustainability. Please note that TEDxAmsterdamWomen is a non-commercial, non-political organization, so it is not permitted to refer to a commercial business – there will be no selling from the stage, no political agendas, no proselytizing – only reliable, good science.
Your idea should be new or surprising. It can challenge a pre-existing belief. Or it can be a great basic idea with a compelling new argument behind it. An idea isn’t just a story or a list of facts. A good idea takes evidence, observations and draws a larger conclusion.
A few questions you could ask yourself are: Is my idea new? Am I telling people something I’m pretty sure they have not heard before? Is it interesting? Will my talk inspire people? Think about how your idea might apply to a room full of varied kinds of people. Who might be interested in it? Is it factual and realistic? If you answered “no” to any of these questions, try to refine your idea. Also consider the solution – is there one? What’s the status quo? What’s the problem with the status quo? If you are presenting new research, make sure your idea is backed up by data that has been peer-reviewed.
Taking the above into account, here are some quick tips as you work on your application:
- What’s your idea worth spreading? Develop your idea to be one clear sentence.
- Answer all the questions included on the application form and make sure they are no longer than 3 sentences. It will help you to focus on your idea and answering the questions should support it.
Guidelines for the video Pitch
- Max 2 minutes
- Tell us about your ideas (if you have written down your pitch, please do not read it)
- Show your presentation skills
- Show your personality
- Create a new video in a calm environment with good sound (don’t send us a video of you presenting at a different event)
Tips for successful TEDx Talk
- Dream big. Strive to create the best talk you have ever given. Reveal something never seen before. Do something the audience will remember forever. Share an idea that could change the world.
- Show us the real you. Share your passions, your dreams … and also your fears. Be vulnerable. Speak of failure as well as of success and connect with your emotions.
- Make the complex plain. Don’t try to dazzle intellectually. Don’t speak in abstract. Explain! Give examples. Tell stories. Be specific. And make sure you check your sources and data. Oh and skip any commercial, political or religious agenda.
- Make the story worth listening to. Connect with your audience, make them laugh! Make them cry! Take them on a journey. And make sure your audience feels motivated or more self-aware after your story.
- Rehearse and prepare. Don’t read your talk. Notes are fine, if necessary. But rehearse a lot and practice out loud and time it!
This year’s theme
‘ReThink, ReBoot, REACT’
Ideas are powerful, but ideas that empower people to ACT are unstoppable!
We are looking for an unstoppable idea.
Rethink what you thought was normal. Take a breath and pause… Gain perspective on why you have a certain stance or opinion on this. Consider possible bias.
Reboot from that opinion and reconsider how things could be done differently. What would be the impact and possible consequences of this fresh reboot of new ideas.
Don’t just react but ACT! Find new ways to make that difference and untangle biases. Encourage and inspire others around you to do the same, reconsider their perspective and share approaches to act differently.
Talent Night FAQ
Does my pitch need to be in English?
Yes, all applications and pitches need to be done in English.
Do I have to be based in Amsterdam?
No, we are happy to welcome all participants regardless of location as long as you currently live in the Netherlands. However, if you are joining us from out of town, please be aware that you are responsible for any associated expenses.
I submitted my application but I haven’t heard from you?
Our team will be looking at all the entries after the deadline and will respond to all applicants by August 19th. If you haven’t heard from us by then it might be because we have the incorrect contact details for you, so please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When and how will I be informed about the final selection?
After we have reviewed all initial applications, we will update you via email, if you have been selected to proceed to the video submission round. If you haven’t heard anything by August 30th, please contact us via email. After the round of video submissions all finalists will be contacted individually.
I was chosen as a shortlisted candidate and then missed the video submission deadline for my application. What now?
If you missed the deadline but feel passionately about your idea, please reach out to us at email@example.com. We’ll evaluate this on a case-by-case basis.
If I’m selected, do I need to deliver my pitch in person at the event on the 1st of October or can it be done via Skype or a recording?
All pitches must be made in person. This is about giving you a stage to convey an idea worth spreading. We think you need to be present in person to connect with the audience and to ensure that your pitch makes the biggest impact. However, the external audience will be present virtually and Talent Night will be a live-stream event this year.
I submitted the same pitch for another stage and was not selected, can I submit the same idea?
Yes, but consider refining your original idea or submit something else entirely that will be in line with the theme this year. See tips above.
How do you choose finalists and winners?
Members of TEDxAmsterdamWomen’s curatorial team will be reviewing all applications and videos. In addition, we will post all pitches online via diverse social media channels. The audience will be allowed to select their favorite via public voting on social media. On Talent Night, after hearing all the talks and audience input (public voting will be available), our jury will make a decision.
Is the application and event only for women?
We welcome all people regardless of gender identity. TEDxAmsterdamWomen specifically focuses on the unique way in which women and those who identify as women contribute to the world and women’s issues. We are looking for ideas that reflect this.